Softsqueeze is a music player for your PC that works with the Squeezebox Server software. It complements the Boom, Duet, Transporter, Squeezebox and Slimp3 hardware music players developed by Slim Devices.
Download Version 3.9b2 Now!
Supports synchronization with hardware players and remote streaming over the Internet using ssh tunneling.
Developed in Java, allowing this useful application to work with Windows PCs, OS X and Unix systems.
Emulates most of the digital music players and uses the TCP based slim protocol, allowing use across the Internet and through firewalls/NAT routers.
- Audio Playback
- Native playback of Flac, MP3, WAV and AIFF audio.
- Support for Ogg Vorbis, WMA and AAC by transcoding in SqueezeCenter.
- Gapless playback for most audio formats.
- Synchronization with Squeezebox2, Squeezebox and Slimp3 (requires Java 1.5)
- Pause, volume control and mute buttons.
- Supports Windows Direct Sound on a Windows PC.
- Squeezebox2 Graphics Support
- Emulation of the new 320x32 graphic display.
- Full support for all Squeezebox fonts.
- Spectrum Analyzer, VU meters.
- Slim Devices skin with horizontal or vertical remotes.
- Excession and Excession Large skins.
- LCD skin, designed for use on laptop computers.
- Quick link to slim server web interface
- Window snapping
- Also supports headless operation
- Music search and playlist editor
- Emulation of Slim IR Remote control
- Button auto repeat (for example press and hold pause stop's the player)
- Keyboard shortcuts for common remote control functions (uses the same keys as winamp and xmms).
- Slim Protocol
- Supports Slim Server version 6.0 upwards.
- Support for password encrypted servers.
- Auto reconnection to Slim Server when connection is lost.
- Built-in ssh tunneling support for remote connections.
- Slim server discovery.
These alternative software players can be used to listen to your music stored on your SqueezeCenter server:
- squeezeslave is a light weight streaming audio player written in C for Windows, OS X, Linux and Solaris computers.
- slimp3slave is a slimp3 emulator for Unix (Linux/Solaris/etc) computers.
- Kslimp3 is a KDE slimp3 emulator that works on Unix computers. This program integrates into the KDE desktop.
- TripleFat is a Java client that emulates a slimp3 display and remote control. This does not play music.
- WinAMP (or other music streaming client) can be used to listen to streamed music from the slim server. Your playlist can be managed from the slim server web page. One reason I wrote Softsqueeze was because I did not like the long delay (caused by buffering) when using WinAMP with SqueezeCenter.
- Slim devices, especially Dean Blackketter and Vidur Apparao.
- ej-technologies for the install4j installer.
- Graham Scott for skin development.
- The slimdevices community for feedback and enhancement ideas.
- Thanks to Peter van der Landen for the Softsqueeze name, testing and encouragement.
- Douglas S. J. De Couto for the vfd display character set, copied from TripleFat.
- Patches from Dolf Dijkstra, Brain (canned), Vidur Apparao, Michel Marti.
- Java Layer MP3 decoder.
- JFlac FLAC decoder.
- JSch for SSH tunnelling support.
- Tritonus project for additional Java sound libraries.
- Java FFT routines by Bruce Miller at NIST.
© Richard Titmuss